Re: Recent discovery?

Subject: Re: Recent discovery?
From: Todd J. Haines (haines@lanl.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 13:38:37 EDT

You may be refering to a recent discovery of a remnant in front of the Vela
SNR. It was discussed last week at the High Energy Astrophysics Division
(aka HEAD) conference in Charleston in a paper by W. Chen (UMd/Goddard SFC)
and N. Gehrels (NASA/GSFC). It occurred ~700 years ago. They found it in
data at 1.8 MeV from COMPTEL. I don't know if this helps you, but you can
contact the authors directly.

Regards,

Todd Haines

At 01:19 PM 4/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am trying to find some information on the recent discovery of the
>remnants of a supernova that, according to the story I saw, occurred in
>the Middle Ages and must have been seen, perhaps even in daytime, but no
>written records of the event seem to have been found by the discoverers.
>
>Now, I am searching for the news release of this item, and it seems that
>even the written records of the report have disappeared.
>
>Can anyone help me and point me to a page where this report is
>archived? I have searched NASA and Sky and Telescope, and several other
>astronomy sites to no avail. I am SURE I read this news item and my
>husband confirms that I have not lost my mind. Yet, I cannot find it
>anywhere.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Laura Knight-Jadczyk

Todd Haines