Distribution of SN progenitors

Subject: Distribution of SN progenitors
From: John Beacom (beacom@citnp3.caltech.edu )
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 12:57:57 EDT

>from Adam Bouchta:
>does anyone have a good reference for the spatial distribution of
>potential SN II progenitors in the Milky Way? The aim is to estimate the
>signal as a function of distance.

The simplest thing to do is to assume that the spatial distribution
of massive stars is the same as that for all stars. This is not
perfectly true, of course, but it should be adequate.

I assume that you want the distribution of distances from Earth.
That is given in Bahcall's book on page 436, with further references
therein.

John