preprint

Subject: preprint
From: Kate Scholberg (schol@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 10:29:42 EST

Dear SNEWSers,

I just thought I'd point out the following preprint:

astro-ph/0102317
"TeV Neutrinos and GeV Photons from Shock Breakout in Supernovae",
by E. Waxman and A. Loeb
This predicts a ~ 10 hour long flash of TeV nus and 10 GeV photons
at shock breakout (~10 hour timescale).

Physics possibilities like this are a good motivation for a SNEWS
alert. Direction for gamma detectors is needed; high energy nu
detectors of course can't be pointed, but can know that they need to
be on for the next ~day (they may have seen the low energy nu burst
themselves, of course).

Kate.