SNEWS mailing list

From: Alec T. Habig (habig@neutrino.d.umn.edu)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 09:46:54 EDT

Hi SNEWSers,

This mailing list (the general SNEWS discussion list, not the alert
one) today got a blank email entitled "sn alert" with bogus headers
looking like it came from the snnet account on budoe. Interestingly
enough, this mail originated from a tu-munchen dialup account, where
many of us are gathered for the Nu20002 meeting.

Anyway, do remember that the acid test of a real SNEWS alert is that the
email will be PGP signed with the SNEWS key. The public part of this
key is in the public key servers and on the SNEWS web page,
http://budoe.bu.edu/~snnet/ If you can verify that this email message is
signed by me, you will be able to tell that a SNEWS alert is signed by
the SNEWS server.

Plus, being a public mailing list, we have gotten random spams. This
will only increase in the future. Thus, I will soon move our mailing
lists to a more clever sort where one must be a member in order to send
email to the list. Expect another email about this technical transition
soon.

      Alec

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
	    		    habig@neutrino.d.umn.edu